Here at The Lighthouse church, we are getting ready to go through the study of the Tabernacle in the Old Testament. As I have been studying a thought came to me and I want to share it with you. In the bible, Jesus uses the picture of a garden or soil for the human heart, remember the teaching on reaping and sowing?
He teaches that the heart that takes the message of the Gospel is fertile and worked soil. The understanding here is that the person has allowed God, by the work of the Holy Spirit, to get them ready for the message (Yes, this story talks about hearing the Salvation message but it is also talking about the believer who God is trying to mold closer to the person of Jesus – to be more Christ-like).
God uses all kinds of things to get us ready to hear His message. Many times this come is the form of circumstances, trials and hard times. Sometimes God will use blessing and good times to also get us ready, as well. It is my prayer that you are willing to allowed God to do this in your heart. As we are studying this Old Testament visual lesson I am going to ask that you take the time to ask God to prepare you for this journey.
Here are some things that God can use to prepare you for the messages for the next 7 to 8 weeks
1. Fasting – this dose not have to be food. You can can fast anything from food to activities. Just use the time that you would normally spend doing the activity or eating and replace it with prayer and reading of His word. This time should be over what is already spend with Him. For example, giving up the news paper reading then you would take the time you would normally read in prayer and reading His Word.
2. S.P.A.M (Spiritual Preparation and Meditation) – this is something that I used to challenge the youth groups with before a retreat or mission trip. It would work like this, the person would commit to not reading, listening or watching to anything that is not based in Jesus or His word. This would not include school stuff (home work) or work related things. You can S.P.A.M. for the whole teaching or for as long as you wish or short as you wish. The main thing is that you are listen to what God wants you to do.
3. Join a small group for accountability purposes
4. Start a bible reading plan
5. Commit to a connection class if you are not part of one.
6. volunteer in the community or at church
These are just a few things that are on my heart. You may have other ideas and that is awesome. I just know that the more we allow God to prepare the soil of our hearts the more we will learn and grow. I believe that the more we sacrifice the greater the blessing. Well, I hope to see you on Sunday and I pray that you all have an awesome week!
In His Grip,